Grilling vegetables brings out the natural sweetness of the vegetables. Here are 6 vegetables to grill this year:
- Potatoes – Wrapped in a double layer of tin foil, with a little butter or olive oil and your favourite herbs, these are quick and delicious to barbecue. Slice up larger potatoes, or just use baby potatoes whole.
- Asparagus – Lightly coat in olive oil, salt and pepper, asparagus spears only need a quick 3-5 minutes of grilling to become tender and tasty.
- Mushrooms – Brush with either a homemade or store bought vinaigrette (mushrooms love balsamic vinegar!) and a short grill time. Try white or brown button mushrooms for a great side dish, or large Portobello mushrooms as a replacement for a burger patty, or as the entrée on your plate.
- Cabbage – Slice a head of cabbage into 6-10 wedges, and place in a double layer of tin foil. Drizzle with some melted butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Seal tin foil and grill for about 20 minutes.
- Beets – This garden favourite has a whole new world of flavour when grilled. Cut beets into pieces, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and toss into a grill basket. Turn frequently to avoid burning, and serve as a side dish, or as part of a salad with goat cheese.
- Carrots – these do really well with a longer, slower, lower heat. Grilled carrots can be great on their own, or mixed into a side dish.
Or just toss your vegetables into a grill basket, which allows you to skip the foil. That way you can keep smaller vegetables from falling through the grill. Cooking your vegetables on the grill with your protein allows you to simplify your summer cooking.